Model: Lacey Grillos
“Hanuman not only gives us liberation, but he also fulfills our beneficial desires.”
Hanuman, the monkey king and son of the wind, teaches us the strength in surrender and devotion. We learn through surrender, the balance of holding on and letting go. When we come to this space, we can open ourselves to peace, clarity, and stillness in the heart.
Benefits of the pose:
- Relief for Sciatica
- Opens hips and groin
- Engages abdomen
- Improves function of vital organs
- Stretches and strengthens hamstrings and thighs
Asana Break Down:
Begin kneeling on the floor with both legs slightly apart. Place one foot in front of you extended with your heal touching the floor. Sink into your hips, allowing your heart to move forward as your hands come to frame both sides of your extended leg. Slowly begin to extend your back knee behind yourself until both knees are simultaneously touching the floor. Once you have come into the split position, raise your arms over head and gently find length in the spine. Stay here for a few breaths. To get out of this posture, press both hands into the earth and slide your back knee under your hip coming into the initial position. Then repeat on the other side.
1) From the split position, exhale and bring your arms down and fold your heart down towards your front knee.
2) From the split position, inhale and lift your back foot. Reach for your foot with one hand, open the chest forward, and tilt your head back.
1) Place a bolster or folded blanket underneath your pelvis or your back knee.